DSpace Kochi University of Technology
日本語

Kochi University of Technology Academic Resource Repository >
A.学術情報資料別 >
SSMSパブリケーション >
Vol.06 >

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
SMS10-183.pdf1.68 MBAdobe PDFView/Open
Title: Domestic Water Demand Forecasting And Management Under Changing Socio : Economic Senario
Authors: Bhatti, Asif M.
Nasu, Seigo
Issue Date: Mar-2010
Publisher: Society for Social Management Systems
Journal Title: Society for Social Management Systems Internet Journal
Volume: 6
Issue: 1
Abstract: Water is one of the basic human need and imperative for sustaining quality of life on the earth. However, its unbalanced and unmanaged use makes it scarce. In Pakistan, about 96% of its available water is being used for agriculture and the remaining 4% for domestic, industrial and other purposes. Per capita water availability has decreased from 5260 m^3 in 1951 to 1050 m^3 by the year 2010, placing Pakistan in the category of a high water stress country. Presently, about 70 percent of the total population in the country has access to safe drinking water. The domestic water use in selected cities of Pakistan was comprehensively examined. The per capita water consumption varies significantly from 30 liter per capita per day (l/c/day) to 350 liter per capita per day. The poor are particularly vulnerable when water is either unclean or in short supply. In urban areas, rainwater and ground water is used for municipal supplies to meet domestic requirements. The water demand fluctuates with the seasons of the year, the days of the week, and the hours of the day. A good understanding of domestic water usage patterns and trends is essential to bridge the gap between present and future domestic water supply and demand. The present paper surveys the domestic water use in different parts of Lahore, Faisalabad and Rawalpindi, where water supply and demand is estimated and forecasted under changing socio-economic scenarios. The policy-relevant variables, mainly econometric problems and water prices are systematically considered and their effect on water demand was appraised. The study concludes that better management coupled with effective policy, awareness, efficient structures, institutional strengthening and professional skills is vital to enhance the sustainability of the system.
Type: Conference Paper
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10173/1789
Appears in Collections:Vol.06

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10173/1789

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Kochi University of Technology Library - Feedback